1. Which versions of Microsoft Windows are supported?
iRdesktop supports all Windows Versions that have support for Terminal Services (also known as Remote Desktop Services) out of the box.
Here is a complete list:
- Windows XP Home (* please see FAQ #2)
- Windows XP Professional
- Windows XP Media Center 2005
- Windows 7 Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium (* please see FAQ #2)
- Windows 7 Professional, Ultimate and Enterprise
- Windows Vista Home Basic and Home Premium (* please see FAQ #2)
- Windows Vista Business, Ultimate and Enterprise
- Windows Server 2000
- Windows Small Business Server 2003
- Windows Server 2003
- Windows Server 2008
- Windows Small Business Server 2008
- Windows Server 2008R2
2. What about the Windows Home and Starter Editions ?
In order to connect to a remote desktop using RDP the computer must have running Terminal Services (aka Remote Desktop Services).
Unfortunately Microsoft has removed Terminal Services from the Windows Starter, Home, Home Basic and Home Premium Editions.
In order to access those Windows systems with any RDP client you can install our alternative Terminal Server solution Thinstuff XP/VS Terminal Server
3. How do I connect to my Windows PC or Terminal Server remotely?
Before doing anything else you have to configure your Windows PC for Remote Desktop:
Read FAQ #8
At this point you should already be able to make a connection if both your PC and your iPhone/iPod are on the same network (e.g. connected to your home wireless access point):
See a video howto ...
- Add a new server in iRdesktop and enter the address or name of your PC
- Click on the connection name
If you also want to connect to your home PC from remote (e.g. on the way using your 3G connection or from a public internet cafe via WIFI) things get a little bit harder.
You should have some basic networking knowledge because you will have to configure some settings on your home router or wireless access point because your PC's address is probably not directly reachable from the internet.
Basically you need to configure your router or access point to redirect RDP traffic from the Internet to your home computer.
Unfortunately this task is slightly different for each router device so you will have to do some studies on your own.
Here are some very good tutorials you can follow:
Please also visit http://www.portforward.com
who provide step-by-step guides on how to setup port forwarding for just about any make and model of router.
9. How can I improve slow screen updates?
Slow screen updates are mostly caused by slow network connections. So first please make sure that you have 3G and WIFI enabled!
In order to speed up slow connections like EDGE you can try to set the amount of colurs to "Hundreds" and the resolution to "640x480".
12. How can I work with multiple servers concurrently?
This works exactly as you probably know it from your Safari browser!
See a video howto ...
- Within a running session press the Windows button in the top toolbar. This will bring up the page view.
- In order to connect to another server in parallel select the Bookmarks button in the bottom toolbar. This will bring up the favorites chooser.
- Select the server you want to connect to
- Press the Windows button again to switch to another session
14. Where can I download iRdesktop?
On May, 1st 2009 Apple has accepted iRdesktop for inclusion in the App Store!
You can download it directly from your iPhone / iPod touch or from within iTunes.
16. Can I do drag and drop?
Yes. The gesture is identical to a drag and drop operation using a notebook mouse pad.
Double click but don't release your finger on the second tap.
Hold your finger down, move it to the desired drop position and release it.